World Bulletin/News Desk
An Egyptian court on Thursday sentenced a man to 15 years and 12 others to three years in jail after convicting them of being involved in violence following the ouster of ex-president Mohamed Morsi in 2013, a judicial source said.
The same court in the Nile Delta province of Sharqiya cleared three other people in the same case, the source told Anadolu Agency.
Prosecutors had earlier accused the 16 defendants of involvement in violence, riots and attacks on policemen following Morsi's ouster in July last year.
Morsi's backers have been protesting his ouster at the hands of the army for over a year now. However, hundreds of them were thrown in jail on various charges, mostly involvement in violence and attacking policemen.
Morsi, this country's first elected president after the 2011 revolution that ousted longstanding ruler Hosni Mubarak, was removed from power by the army in July last year after mass protests against his one-year rule.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 01 Kasım 2014, 14:42