An explosion set off near a convoy taking Britain's ambassador to Yemen to work on Monday killed one person but the ambassador was unharmed, a security source told Reuters.
The person killed was not a member of embassy staff, the security source said. Three people were wounded, another security source said. Two were security officials in a police car escorting the ambassador's motorcade. The third was a bystander.
Ambassador Tim Torlot had been on his way to the embassy in the Yemeni capital Sanaa at the time of the blast.
"We can confirm there was an incident this morning involving a member of embassy staff," Chantel Mortimer, a spokeswoman for the British embassy in Sanaa told Reuters.
"We are working closely with the Yemeni authorities to investigate what happened. We can confirm there were no UK or embassy member casualties," she said.
"The embassy will remain closed to members of the public," she said.
The explosion was believed to have been carried out by a suicide bomber and the suspected bomber is believed to be the one person who died in the explosion, the source said.
ReutersLast Mod: 26 Nisan 2010, 14:57