Boko Haram abducted 2,000 women since last year

Nigeria's President Elect Muhammadu Buhari, said on Tuesday the girls' whereabouts was unknown but that he would try to locate them.

Boko Haram abducted 2,000 women since last year

World Bulletin / News Desk 

Boko Haram have kidnapped at least 2,000 girls and women since the start of last year Amnesty International said on Tuesday.

The human rights group's 90-page report based on dozens of interviews with witnesses and escaped abductees comes a year after the group seized more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok.

The kidnapping, and a video showing the captured girls dressed in dark hijabs soon afterwards, provoked international outrage. 

A 19-year-old woman told Amnesty how she had been abducted at a wedding in September 2014 alongside the bride and the bride's sister and then held at a training camp in Madagali alongside hundreds of female fighters.

"I was among the girls trained to shoot. I was also trained how to use bombs and how to attack a village," said the woman.

Many men who refuse to join Boko Haram's ranks have also been killed. Two young men told researchers that at least 100 were executed in one day in December when the armed group took over Madagali. They survived because the killers' knives had become too blunt to slit more throats.

DRAGGED INTO THE FOREST

Boko Haram is thought to have killed thousands of people in its six-year. But Nigerian troops alongside neighbouring armies from Chad, Cameroon and Niger have won back vast swathes of territory from them in recent weeks.

Nigeria's President Elect Muhammadu Buhari, said on Tuesday the girls' whereabouts was unknown but that he would try to locate them.

"As much as I wish to I cannot promise that we can find them. But I say to every parent, family member and friend of the children that my government will do everything in its power to bring them home."

U.N. Special Representative for West Africa Mohamed Ibn Chambas said that some abducted girls may have been taken by fighters into the Sambisa Forest, a vast former colonial game reserve where some of the group are thought to be regrouping.

"The speculation is that they are in the Sambisa Forest being used as human shields," he told Reuters at the weekend.

A woman interviewed by Amnesty in its report said that she had been held alongside several of the Chibok schoolgirls in nearby Gwoza, a town recaptured by the Nigerian army last month.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Nisan 2015, 09:57
YORUM EKLE