World Bulletin/News Desk
A multinational force would be formed soon to fight terrorism, especially the Boko Haram movement, which is active both in Nigeria and Cameroon's northernmost parts, a Cameroonian official said.
"The force would be made up of 700 troops from Cameroon; Nigeria; Niger; Chad, and Benin," Defense Minister Pierre Moukoko Mbonjo told The Anadolu Agency.
The minister was speaking on Sunday on the sidelines of the summit of Francophone nations, which was held for two days from Saturday in the Senegalese capital Dakar.
Mbonjo said the force would be ready for action within the next few weeks, noting that Boko Haram had attacked his country repeatedly over the past months.
The Cameroonian minister added that the president of his country had taken the necessary measures to protect Cameroon and guarantee the security of its northernmost parts on the border with Nigeria.
"You need to realize that we are at war, one that was imposed on us and whose objectives are unclear," Mbonjo said.
Boko Haram had attacked northern Cameroon several times in the past months, sparking confrontations with the country's military on the border with Nigeria.
Around 40 Cameroonian troops had been killed in fighting so far as well as more than 1,000 Boko Haram militants, Mbonjo told the Cameroonian parliament last week.Güncelleme Tarihi: 02 Aralık 2014, 12:18