Confusion regarding DRC clashes death toll

Government records 9 deaths in Kinshasa while HRW, UN report 20 across country

Confusion regarding DRC clashes death toll

World Bulletin / News Desk

The government of Democratic Republic of Congo has said nine people died on Tuesday during clashes between protesters and police in Kinshasa.

Government spokesman Lambert Mende said in a statement: "We recorded in the city of Kinshasa nine people killed including a policeman. Two women were victims of stray bullets and 6 men were killed while looting commercial establishments.''

Human Rights Watch and the UN Joint Human Rights Office said Tuesday over 20 people had been killed across the country.

Rioting occurred in Lubumbashi (the second largest city in the country) and Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The UN mission also alerted Tuesday on the arrests of more than 100 people during the three days leading to the expiration of Joseph Kabila's term on Dec. 20, the first day of Congolese president's rule beyond his second and last constitutional mandate.

Said Mamane Sidikou, representative of the UN secretary general in the DRC said: "Since 16 December, the United Nations has recorded 113 arrests in the country, including opposition leaders and sympathizers, civil society activists and human rights defenders, media professionals, as well as others. Most of these arrests were carried out by the Congolese National Police (PNC), the National Intelligence Agency (ANR) and the Republican Guard, and took place in Goma, Kinshasa and Bukavu."

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 21 Aralık 2016, 15:57
YORUM EKLE