World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's new president backed down Saturday from his decision to remove the country's top prosecutor, keeping him in his post and sidestepping a potential clash with the country's powerful judiciary.
The agreement, sealed on Saturday after a meeting between Mursi and Prosecutor-General Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud, stipulates that Mahmoud will remain in office until retirment age.
The two-day standoff between President Mohammed Mursi and Prosecutor Mahmoud escalated with a backlash from a powerful group of judges who said Mursi's move had infringed upon their authority.
The standoff, which both sides later described as a "misunderstanding," exposed the enduring strength of an establishment packed with holdovers from the days of former President Hosni Mubarak, and underlined Mursi's limitations in challenging long-standing institutions.
Mursi's effort to remove Mahmoud from his post was seen as a response to the acquittal of senior Mubarak-era officials who had been standing trial on charges of organising violence during the uprising against the deposed leader.
Since he came to office as Egypt's first freely elected president, Mursi has removed other Mubarak-era officials including Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, Mubarak's former defence minister, and other top generals.
Arriving for work on Saturday, Mahmoud defiantly told journalists he would only leave his post "via assassination".
On Wednesday, high profile members of the Mubarak administration were cleared of any involvement in orchestrating "The Battle of the Camels" - when men on horses and camels rode into Tahrir Square in an attempt to dislodge protesters at the height of the uprising against Mubarak.
The acquittals led to calls for protests on Friday by the Muslim Brotherhood, the group which propelled Mursi to power. But instead more than 140 people were injured when the Islamists and Mursi opponents clashed. The streets were calm on Saturday.Güncelleme Tarihi: 14 Ekim 2012, 10:12