World Bulletin / News Desk
The commissioner of Wadajir district in Mogadishu said that the car bomb which exploded Sunday had targeted a crowded restaurant.
“At least 32 people were killed including Somali government soldiers. The explosion also destroyed shops and buildings around the scene,” Abdullahi Ahmed Afrah said.
Mogadishu’s main Medina hospital and local paramedics also confirmed the death toll.
Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo, who was elected by parliament earlier this month, visited Medina hospital overnight and pledged his government’s support to the victims of the deadly attack.
“I want to say as the president of the nation, the government will pay the health care of the wounded people of the barbaric attack by al-Shabaab terrorist group, my government will work to get overseas treatment for those who are critically wounded” Farmajo told reporters inside the facility.
Police Capt. Adan Haji said on Sunday that a security operation launched after the blast resulted in the arrest of four al-Shabaab suspects.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, but Somali rebel group al-Shabaab has recently been blamed for terrorist attacks in Mogadishu.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Şubat 2017, 14:35