Death toll rises to 32 in violent protests in Congo

Monday's and Tuesday's protests against President Joseph Kabila leave 32 people dead including four policemen

Death toll rises to 32 in violent protests in Congo

World Bulletin / News Desk

The death toll in the recent violent protests against Congolese President Joseph Kabila went up to 32, according to the police on Thursday.

Police spokesman, Colonel Mwana Mputu said in a statement that the violence left 32 people dead including four policemen.

''19 people were killed on Monday and 13 others died on Tuesday. We have so far arrested 114 people suspected of being involved in causing chaos during the demonstrations,'' Mputu said.

 Forty-one have already been screened and those suspected of being responsible for the chaos have been referred to the Public Prosecutor, he added.

The public prosecutor is reportedly making arrangements for the suspects to be taken to courts of law to be charged with causing chaos, looting and disobeying rightful orders.

The violence erupted on Monday and Tuesday after what was supposed to be a peaceful opposition demonstration against Kabila went wild when protesters hurled stones at police and police retaliated with gunfire.

Although calm was restored in the capital, Kinshasa Wednesday, pockets of demonstrations were reported in upcountry towns.

The Congolese national police said Thursday that with the help of the army they managed to restore public order across the country.

Mputu said a police station and 12 sub-police stations were burnt down during different parts of the country, while two banks, two universities and other establishments including two petrol stations and a magistrates' court were severely looted during the protests. 

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 22 Eylül 2016, 16:06
YORUM EKLE