Fresh details are emerging about a deadly attack on a village in the Kukawa local government council of Borno, northeast Nigeria, with military and emergency sources confirming to Anadolu Agency that the victims were slaughtered or axed to death.
"Many of the victims were slaughtered; others were axed to death," a military source told AA by telephone from a military post close to neighboring Cameroon.
"The attackers practically slit their throats. It was such a barbaric practice, a tragedy, and the tactic seems novel, probably to prevent the military from getting an early tip off," he added, commenting on the use of knives and axes.
The attack occurred between Monday night and Tuesday morning, leaving at least 44 people dead and several others injured, according to the military source.
A medic attached to the National Emergency Management Agency, who also requested anonymity, said: "Our colleagues counted at least 44 corpses and some of the injured have slim chances of survival because they were in critical condition."
He said eyewitnesses had claimed that attackers threw the village into confusion after they set houses ablaze to draw people out.
"One of the eyewitnesses who survived the terror revealed that dozens of masked attackers invaded the village at about 11pm Monday, but that they did not shoot them," he told AA.
"Rather, they used daggers and axes to kill their victims. I think it was a strategy to delay a rescue mission from the military," he added.
The medic said the attackers had set houses ablaze, throwing everything into confusion.
"Many said they escaped to Baga because they didn't have anywhere to live again since their homes had been torched," the medic said. "Besides, they wanted security from the troops who are very close to Baga."
He added that makeshift camps were being set up at the Baga Central Primary School.
Independent verification of events is almost impossible, owing largely to a communication shutdown and the emergency rule slammed on Borno, Yobe and Adamawa – all northeastern Nigerian states that are hotbeds of the Boko Haram insurgency.
It often takes days to get information about events in the area, except from the military, through residents with limited access or through neighboring Cameroon or Chad.
Haruna Sani, media coordinator of the Multinational Joint Task Force in Baga, told reporters that he had no knowledge of the attack, as he had been away from his base at the time.
But another military source told AA that the defense headquarters had been briefed "about the latest massacre."
"Casualties may rise because many of those injured are in critical condition," said the source.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 24 Ağustos 2013, 17:38