Dozens of fresh complaints against released Mubarak

Dozens of fresh complaints have been filed with the prosecutor-general's office, accusing Mubarak of "torture and violations of Egyptian citizens' rights

Dozens of fresh complaints against released Mubarak

World Bulletin/News Desk

The Egyptian prosecutor-general's office has received dozens of new complaints against former President Hosni Mubarak, who was recently released following almost two years in detention.

Mubarak was released from Cairo's Tora Prison on Thursday after a court accepted an appeal filed by the former president's lawyers against charges that he had received millions of Egyptian pounds worth of "gifts" from state-owned daily Al-Ahram while in office.

In the immediate wake of his release, dozens of fresh complaints have been filed with the prosecutor-general's office, accusing Mubarak -- toppled by Egypt's 2011 popular uprising -- of "torture and violations of Egyptian citizens' rights in his former capacity as the head of the Supreme Council of Police," a judicial source told the Anadolu Agency on Friday.

Among those who have filed the fresh complaints against Mubarak are prominent lawyer Hamed Sediqq and the Cairo-based Egyptian Organization for Human Rights (EOHR), the source said.

In its complaint, the EOHR called for "opening immediate investigations into all the complaints previously filed with [Mubarak-era] prosecutor-general Abdel-Meguid Mahmoud regarding cases of torture and police abuse," he added.

Following his release, Egypt's deputy military commander -- a title which, under a government-imposed state of emergency, is now held by interim Prime Minister Hazem al-Biblawi -- ordered Mubarak placed under house arrest.

Mubarak was ousted in early 2011 after having ruled the country with an iron fist since the 1981 assassination of President Anwar Sadat.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 24 Ağustos 2013, 09:23
YORUM EKLE