World Bulletin / News Desk
Eight members of the security forces, 14 militiamen and six civilians were killed in Saturday’s fighting, Congolese Interior Minister Evariste Boshab told reporters at a news briefing in Kananga, capital of the country’s Kasai-Central province.
Boshab said calm was restored to the city on Saturday and claimed 52 militiamen were arrested. The minister did not give more details on the militia or the name of the group.
Alex Kande, governor of Kasai-Central province, told Anadolu Agency by phone: “It is indeed a militia group that we have managed to contain. Currently, there are a large number of military men and police in the city. We are even trying to control the entire province to prevent any form of insecurity.”
Kande said the fighting caused extensive damage, including to Kananga airport which experienced an attack from the militia on Thursday.
Over 47 people have been killed in one month in Kasai Central following attacks by militiamen.
In August, police killed the alleged leader of the group during a security operation.
The militia group started its attacks last year after a village head said he would remove Congolese security forces in the province, claiming the police and army were harassing the local population.