Egypt court considers Mubarak release

Mubarak was charged with the receipt of millions of Egyptian pounds worth of "gifts" from flagship state daily Al-Ahram in the period from 2006 to 2011.

Egypt court considers Mubarak release

World Bulletin/News Desk

An Egyptian court is considering an appeal by former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, toppled by a popular uprising two years ago, for his release on Wednesday.

Mubarak was charged with the receipt of millions of Egyptian pounds worth of "gifts" from flagship state daily Al-Ahram in the period from 2006 to 2011.

However, Mubarak's lawyer, Farid al-Deeb, said he expected Mubarak's release since the ousted president had already returned the funds and gifts that he had been charged with receiving.

On Monday, the former leader was acquitted of embezzlement charges in connection with appropriating public funds allocated for the upkeep of presidential palaces to renovate their private villas.

However, Mubarak – along with his two sons, former interior minister Habib al-Adly and six of the latter's aides – still faces charges of complicity in the killing of unarmed protesters during Egypt's 2011 revolution that ended his 30-year rule.

But the criminal court overseeing the trial said the ousted leader could be released, since he had already served the maximum time legally allowed – two years – for temporary detention.

A first trial, which ended with a life sentence for Mubarak, was overturned by an appeals court earlier this year on grounds that the trial had been marred by procedural errors.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 21 Ağustos 2013, 13:03
YORUM EKLE