World Bulletin/News Desk
An Egyptian court confirmed death sentences on Wednesday against 12 Muslim Brotherhood supporters convicted of killing a police officer last year, judicial sources said.
Judge Moataz Khafagy first passed the death sentence against the men in June and referred the case to a top religious authority for approval, the first step to imposing death penalties.
Seven of the defendants were present in court when the judge read the ruling. The remaining five are on the run. The defendants still have the right to appeal.
Major General Nabil Farag was shot dead when security forces exchanged fire with militants in the area.
A month earlier security forces had crushed two pro-Mursi protest camps in Cairo and killed hundreds of his supporters. Then-army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi launched his crackdown after ousting Mursi last year following mass protests against his rule.
Sisi, who took office as president in June, has said the Brotherhood would cease to exist in his presidency.
Nine other defendants were sentenced to life in prison, the judicial sources said.
The defendants present chanted "God is Greater!" when the judge read the verdict.
The men were also convicted of belong to the Brotherhood, which was designated a terrorist organisation last year. The group was Egypt's best organised political force until the state crackdown against it.
The ruling follows the confirmation of death sentences against Mohamed Badie, the leader of the Brotherhood, and nearly 200 supporters in June.
Hundreds more suspected supporters of Mursi and his Brotherhood are awaiting final decisions after their death sentences were referred to the Mufti, the top religious authority in the land. The cases have provoked outrage among rights groups and Western governments.
Thousands of Morsi's supporters and members of the banned Muslim Brotherhood group, along with journalists and secular activists, have been arrested and imprisoned under long jail terms.Güncelleme Tarihi: 06 Ağustos 2014, 16:12