Egyptian officers to go on trial for torture case on July 27

Two policemen accused in the death of an Egyptian activist will go on trial for torture on July 27.

Egyptian officers to go on trial for torture case on July 27

 

Two policemen accused in the death of an Egyptian activist will go on trial for torture on July 27, in a case that has drawn the attention of governments and rights groups abroad and led to protests at home.

Khaled Said, 28, died on June 6 in the port city of Alexandria. Witnesses and rights groups say two policemen dragged him out of an internet cafe and beat him to death, while Egyptian authorities say he died choking on drugs.

The death of Said, who had posted an internet video purportedly showing two policemen sharing the spoils of a drug bust before he died, has prompted anti-government demonstrations and raised concerns among Egypt's U.S. and European allies.

"The Alexandria court headed by Mahmoud Talaat Muftah has set July 27 as the start of the trial of two policemen accused in the case of Khaled Said," a court statement said.

The general prosecutor charged the two men, police sergeant Awad Suleiman and policeman Mahmoud Salah, with illegally arresting and physically torturing Said, charges that carry a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison.

Murder charges have not been filed.

The Ministry of Interior has maintained that Said died by choking on a roll of drugs he swallowed when the policemen approached him.

A Facebook memorial page called "We are Khaled Said" has close to 200,000 members and has called for silent protests across Egypt against police brutality and to commemorate Said's death.

Thousands of Egyptians dressed in black joined the first two protests last month, and a third is planned for Friday.
 

Reuters

Güncelleme Tarihi: 08 Temmuz 2010, 14:34
YORUM EKLE