World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's presidency and prime minister said on Saturday security forces in North Sinai were working to return Coptic Christians living near Egypt's border with Israel to their homes after they fled in fear of attack.
Nine Christian families living in Rafah near Egypt's border with Israel left their homes on Friday after gunmen attacked a Coptic-owned shop.
"The Coptic families quit their homes pre-emptively but the governor of North Sinai has given orders to return them to their homes and this is being carried out now," said Yasser Ali, presidential spokesman.
Two armed men riding a motorcycle opened fire on a Coptic-owned shop in Rafah on Wednesday but no one was injured.
Prime Minister Hisham Qandil said gunmen had not tried to force the Coptic families from the border town and they had left of their own accord. However, death threats against the Copts had been printed on flyers circulating in the desert area.
"We must uproot fear and provide all security measures to every citizen," Qandil said.Güncelleme Tarihi: 30 Eylül 2012, 09:32