Iranian, three Nigerians bailed over arms shipment case

A Nigerian court granted bail to an Iranian, who along with three Nigerians was charged last month with "illegally importing arms into the West African country".

Iranian, three Nigerians bailed over arms shipment case


A Nigerian court granted bail on Thursday to an Iranian, who along with three Nigerians was charged last month with "illegally importing arms into the West African country".

Nigeria reported the seizure of the shipment -- including rockets and other explosives hidden in containers of building materials -- to the U.N. Security Council in November.

Azim Adhajani, identified on the charge sheet as a Tehran-based businessman and member of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, was granted 20 million naira bail.

He has said he is not guilty.

"The gestures of the Iranian Embassy have gone down well with the state, hence the absence of opposition to the bail application ... consequently the accused is hereby granted bail," Judge Ishaq Bello said in the high court in Abuja.

He said the trial would begin on Jan. 31.

The four suspects were also charged with conspiring to re-export the illegal shipment to Banjul, Gambia. The three Nigerians -- named as Abuja-based businessman Ali Usman Abbas Jega and customs clearing agents Ali Oroji Wamako and Mohammed Tukur -- also pleaded not guilty.


Reuters

Last Mod: 24 Aralık 2010, 11:35
Add Comment