Libya to take Egypt, UAE to ICC over air strikes

"We will take further measures against Egypt and the United Arab Emirates over their violation of Libyan sovereignty," Omar Humaidan, spokesman for the outgoing General National Congress said.

Libya to take Egypt, UAE to ICC over air strikes

World Bulletin / News Desk

The former Libyan parliament has vowed to take alleged Egyptian and Emirati airstrikes on the capital Tripoli to the International Criminal Court (ICC).

"We will take further measures against Egypt and the United Arab Emirates over their violation of Libyan sovereignty," Omar Humaidan, spokesman for the outgoing General National Congress (parliament), told Anadolu Agency.

He, however, declined to elaborate on these measures.

"We will not allow any violation of Libyan sovereignty and will punish whoever interferes in our internal affairs," he added.

Though it was replaced in national elections in June, the former Congress, where Islamists had a strong voice, reconvened on Monday.

The Libya Shield militia, which is widely seen as a pro-Islamist militia, has accused Egypt and the UAE of carrying out airstrikes against its camps in Tripoli earlier this month.

Both countries, however, have denied any links to the attacks.

Libya has recently witnessed heavy fighting between a loosely organized national army and local militias that held onto their weapons following a bloody uprising in 2011 that ended the rule of Muammar Gaddafi.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 28 Ağustos 2014, 09:45
YORUM EKLE