World Bulletin / News Desk
Libyan Army Chief-of-Staff Abdel-Razzaq Nazuri arrived in Cairo on Wednesday for the second time in a week for talks with Egyptian officials, a security source at Cairo International Airport has said.
The source, who asked not to be named, told Anadolu Agency that Nazuri was accompanied by a high-level security delegation for scheduled talks with senior Egyptian officials on the latest developments in the North African country.
The source, however, did not say how long the visit would last or provide the identities of delegation members.
Nazuri was in Cairo last week to attend a meeting of Libya's neighbors, who reiterated their support for the country's elected parliament and urged local militias to lay down their arms.
At the meeting, Egypt had proposed a voluntary disarmament initiative for Libya, which for the past three years – since Muammar Gaddafi's ouster and death – has been gripped by violence and internecine fighting.
Since 2011, Libya's deteriorating security and political situation has posed a problem for neighboring Egypt, Algeria and Tunisia.
Egyptian officials have warned of an influx of weapons into the country from strife-torn Libya.
Oil-rich Libya has been plagued by fighting between a loosely organized national army and local militias that held onto their weapons following the bloody 2011 uprising that ended Gaddafi's rule.
Capital Tripoli has been the scene of particularly fierce clashes between warring militias over control of the city's vital facilities.
Benghazi, Libya's largest city, also recently witnessed battles between troops loyal to renegade general Khalifa Haftar and Islamist militias.
"Libya Shield," which is widely seen as a pro-Islamist militia, recently accused Egypt and the United Arab Emirates of being behind recent airstrikes that targeted its camps in Tripoli – a claim dismissed by Cairo.Last Mod: 04 Eylül 2014, 09:43