World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkey's overseas education foundation has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) regarding taking over three schools affiliated with the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) in Madagascar, an official told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday.
Hasan Yavuz, the vice president of Turkey's Maarif (Education) Foundation, said the memorandum of understanding was signed by Madagascar's Minister of Education Paul Andrianaina Rabary and Turkish Ambassador to Madagascar Volkan Turk Vural to transfer all FETO-linked schools in the southeastern African island, to the nongovernmental organization.
The educational activities in three schools will be run by the Maarif Foundation as of September, according to Yavuz.
He said the process of tackling FETO schools started with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s visit to the island nation early this year and another school is also scheduled to open in the west coast city of Mahajanga by the foundation.
Turkey and Madagascar signed four agreements on diplomacy, economy and aid as part of Erdogan's visit in January, marking the first ever visit to the southeastern island by a Turkish president.
The Maarif Foundation was established after the July 2016 coup attempt to take over the administration of overseas schools linked to FETO, which is behind the defeated coup that left 249 people martyred and 2,193 injured.
The body also establishes schools and education centers abroad.
Many African countries including Senegal, Mauritania, Chad, Gabon, Burkina Faso, Sao Tome, Guinea, Niger and Somalia have signed agreements regarding the handover of FETO-linked schools, according to the Maarif Foundation. So far, 18 schools, 12 buildings and 10 dormitories in Africa were handed over to Turkey.
Somalia was the first country to suspend the FETO-linked schools in Africa on July 16, just one day after the bloody defeated coup in Turkey blamed on the terrorist group.
As Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu stated in January, over 80 FETO organizations operating abroad, including schools and training centers, have been shut down or transferred to the Turkish government.
FETO and its leader Fetullah Gulen are accused by the Turkish government of being behind the coup attempt and a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary, forming what is commonly known as the “parallel state.”Güncelleme Tarihi: 11 Mart 2017, 08:59