Mali hotel attack: hunt for three suspects

Malian security forces are hunting three suspects connected to the attack on a hotel in the capital, Bamako, on Friday, in which 19 people were killed.

Mali hotel attack: hunt for three suspects

World Bulletin / News Desk

Investigators in Mali were on Saturday hunting at least three people suspected of links to the siege at a luxury hotel in the capital that left at least 19 people dead.

The government has declared a state of emergency after the bloody nine-hour hostage-taking at the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako on Friday, exactly a week after the Paris massacre.

The Al-Murabitoun group, an Al-Qaeda affiliate led by notorious one-eyed Algerian militant Mokhtar Belmokhtar, nicknamed the "Uncatchable" or "Mr Marlboro", claimed the attack.

Gunmen went on the rampage through the hotel from the early morning, shooting in the corridors and taking 170 guests and staff hostage, many of them foreigners.

The assault, which ended when Malian and international troops stormed the hotel, left 19 people dead as well as two attackers, President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita said.

The victims included several Russians, three Chinese, two Belgians, an American and a Senegalese. 

A Malian military source had said earlier  there were at least 27 dead, while at least "three terrorists had been killed or blown themselves up."

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 21 Kasım 2015, 13:50
YORUM EKLE