World Bulletin / News Desk
Gunmen stormed a hotel in the remote centre of Mali on Friday in an ongoing attack that has left at least one person dead, military sources and residents said.
Malian troops were surrounding the Byblos hotel in the desert town of Sevare after what may have been an attempt to kidnap Western hotel guests, the military sources said.
At least five foreigners - three South Africans, a French national and a Ukrainian - were registered at the hotel, the sources said.
"The Fama (Malian armed forces) have sealed off the area... and the operation is still going on," one military source said, adding that a body could be seen lying in front of the building.
"We still don't know if the terrorists have been arrested. According to our information, they tried to kidnap Westerners but they didn't succeed," said a local resident.
Another resident said she had been woken early Friday by the sound of gunshots. "The shooting is still going on but I don't know who is shooting," she said.Güncelleme Tarihi: 07 Ağustos 2015, 14:29