World Bulletin / News Desk
In a statement, the ministry said that the suspects had been involved in “a terrorist plot aimed at undermining the kingdom’s security and stability”.
“The terrorist cell, active in the cities of Wad Zem [in central Morocco] and Tangier [in the north], was broken up Thursday,” the statement read, going on to note that the cell’s eight members were aged between 21 and 31 years old.
According to the ministry, the arrest of the suspects was part of a “proactive response” by the Moroccan authorities “to threats related to the so-called ‘Islamic State’ [i.e., ISIL]”.
One month ago, the Moroccan authorities announced that a six-member ISIL cell had been dismantled.
And in late 2017, Moroccan security forces arrested six people in the city of Fez for suspected ISIL links.
Last November, Interior Minister Abdelouafi Laftit said that some 1,700 Moroccan nationals were currently fighting in various conflict areas overseas, including 929 fighting for ISIL.