Egypt's new vice president pledged on Thursday to punish all those involved in causing violence and to release youths detained in anti-government protests who had not been involved in violence, state TV said.
Omar Suleiman also said President Hosni Mubarak's son would not run for the presidency, a post for which Egyptians have long assumed he was being groomed.
The announcements were made in headline bars at the bottom of the screen.
Gamal Mubarak's chances of assuming the presidency appeared to diminsh greatly when his father appointed Suleiman vice president last week, but the vice president's announcement was the first official indication that he would not run.
ReutersLast Mod: 04 Şubat 2011, 09:43