World Bulletin/News Desk
The Nigeria military has banned cars during the upcoming Eid al-Fitr in troubled Maiduguri, the provincial capital of the northern Borno State, citing intelligence about plans by the militant Boko Haram group to launch multiple attacks during the Muslim festival.
"The report at the disposal of the security agencies reveals that the terrorists Boko Haram have perfected plans to launch multiple bomb explosions in Maiduguri metropolis," Col. Mohamed Dole, a deputy director of the Army Public Relations and a spokesman for the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army, said in a statement in Maiduguri.
"Their main targets include Sallah praying grounds, markets and other public places by using vehicles," he said.
The spokesman announced a restriction on the movement of vehicles for three days starting Monday July 28 in the area when most Muslims will be celebrating the end of Ramadan.
On July 1, a suspected Boko Haram car bombing ripped through a crowded market in the heart of Maiduguri, killing at least 35 people.
Borno is one the three northeastern states under emergency rule, imposed last year May to rid the region of Boko Haram militants whose activities have claimed tens of thousands lives since 2009.
Last Mod: 27 Temmuz 2014, 14:27