World Bulletin/News Desk
Talks between South Sudan's warring rivals have been suspended until May 29, a source close to the Intergovernmental Authority for Development (IGAD), which mediates the talks, said Saturday.
The talks between government and opposition delegates have stumbled over differences in a committee tasked with tackling political and security issues, the source told Anadolu Agency.
According to the source, negotiators locked horns over the meaning of a "transitional government" as well as the mission of this government and the duration of the transition.
The source said that gaps between the two sides have also yawned over what it takes for a party to be up to participating in the government, elections, and political succession-related mechanisms.
The two rivals have also disagreed over the withdrawal of Ugandan troops from South Sudan, according to the source.
While the opposition demands an immediate withdrawal of the Ugandan troops, the government wants a phased withdrawal, the source said.
South Sudan has been shaken by violence since last December, when President Salva Kiir accused sacked vice-president Riek Machar of leading a failed coup attempt against his regime.
The conflict has already claimed more than 10,000 lives, with the U.N. estimating that around 1 million South Sudanese have been displaced as a result of the violence.
Earlier this month, Kiir and Machar signed a peace deal in Addis Ababa aimed at ending the conflict in the nascent country.
The deal calls for the formation of a transitional government to pave the way for consultations over the formation of a permanent government.Güncelleme Tarihi: 17 Mayıs 2014, 10:12