World Bulletin / News Desk
There is no “credible threat” to the U.S. homeland, the FBI said Thursday.
“We are not aware of any credible threat here of a Paris-type attack, and we have seen no connection at all between the Paris attackers and the United States,” FBI Director James Comey said at a press conference with Attorney General Loretta Lych.
America’s top lawyer said that since 2013 more than 70 people have been charged with crimes linked to foreign fighter interests and homegrown extremism.
“We continue to take robust actions to monitor and to thwart potential extremist activity,” said Lynch.
The public reassurances come nearly a week after a series of gun and bomb attacks hit the French capital, killing 129 and injuring hundreds of other victims.
ISIL claimed responsibility for the attacks.
The violent extremists released a series of videos earlier this week warning of attacks on America’s financial and political capitals – New York and Washington.
Comey said FBI agents investigate ISIL’s “propaganda,” including its magazine and video content, but maintained that the U.S. was safe from a pending attack.
“That is not credible intelligence,” he said.
On the same day law enforcement officials sought to reassure the public, President Barack Obama spoke by phone with his French counterpart, Francois Hollande, from the Philippines to “discuss the latest developments in the investigation” into the attack.
“Both leaders reiterated their unwavering commitment to degrade and destroy ISIL,” the White House said in a statement.
Hollande will arrive in Washington on Tuesday to meet with Obama.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Kasım 2015, 09:26