World Bulletin / News Desk
Presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump on Thursday canceled a planned unveiling of his running mate amid an attack in France.
"In light of the horrible attack in Nice, France, I have postponed tomorrow's news conference concerning my Vice Presidential announcement," the real estate mogul wrote on Twitter.
"My prayers and condolences to the victims and families of the terrible tragedy in Nice, France. We are with you in every way!" he wrote in a separate message.
Trump was expected to announce Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his choice for vice president before at least 77 victims were killed in a truck attack on crowds gathered in the southern French city for Bastille Day celebrations.
Police have indicated the possibility of a terrorist attack and asked residents to stay in place.
The city’s prosecutor's office confirmed hundreds are injured as counter-terrorism investigators in Paris have taken charge of the investigation.
Initial reports said a white truck drove into crowds for approximately 2 kilometers (1 mile) along the Promenade des Anglais following celebratory fireworks.
In the wake of the attack, French President Francois Hollande said a state of emergency that was declared after deadly terror attacks last year, would once again be extended.
Only hours before, he had said it would not be extended and was scheduled to end July 26.
France has been under a state of emergency and high terror alert since a ISIL-blamed attack last November killed 130 people across Paris.
The state of emergency had been extended three times before Thursday’s attack: twice for three months, and the last time, on May 19, for two months to ensure security during the UEFA Euro 2016 football tournament that ended Sunday.
The last extension was also implemented to help tighten security for the Tour de France -- the world's biggest road cycling competition -- that ends July 24.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 15 Temmuz 2016, 08:23