World Bulletin / News Desk
The U.S. is "officially putting Iran on notice" following a failed ballistic missile test over the weekend, President Donald Trump's national security advisor said Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters at the White House, retired Army Gen. Michael Flynn said the test puts U.S. lives at risk, and is in defiance of a UN resolution requiring Iran to refrain from activity related to ballistic missiles that can deliver nuclear weapons.
Flynn also pointed to an attack on a Saudi vessel off the coast of Yemen allegedly carried out by Iran-backed Houthi rebels.
"Iran continues to threaten U.S. friends and allies in the region," he said.
Flynn slammed the Barack Obama administration for failing "to respond adequately to Tehran’s malign actions".
"The Trump Administration condemns such actions by Iran that undermine security, prosperity, and stability throughout and beyond the Middle East and place American lives at risk," he said.
Flynn, who led the Defense Intelligence Agency in 2012-2014, reportedly left the Obama administration amid sharp disagreements over U.S. policy, urging a more hawkish policy abroad.
Trump administration officials are expected to brief reporters later today to elaborate on Flynn's warning.
A defense official confirmed the missile test earlier this week. The missile failed upon re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, he said without providing a location for the test, or the type of missile that was fired.
Iranian Defense Minister Hossein Dehghan confirmed Wednesday his country had recently tested a new ballistic missile, but said it did not violate United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231, the missile resolution the council adopted days after a nuclear deal was signed between Tehran and world powers.
Washington’s ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley -- recently appointed by Trump -- requested urgent consultations in the Security Council to discuss the test.Güncelleme Tarihi: 02 Şubat 2017, 01:03