Algiers bombing toll at 72: newspaper

A dispute over the toll from two deadly bomb blasts in Algiers was fuelled Wednesday by at least one Algerian newspaper that put the number of dead at nearly three times the official figure of 26.

Algiers bombing toll at 72: newspaper
The Al-Watan newspaper, citing medical sources, said 72 people had been killed in Tuesday's two car bombs, one of which tore through the offices of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and the other which exploded outside the Supreme Court.

The government insisted that 26 people had been killed and 177 wounded by the two bombs.

Hospital sources gave a toll of 62 dead and about 100 injured.

The United Nations said at least 10 of its staff were killed and several more were still unaccounted for after the attacks as rescuers, aided by sniffer dogs, tried to locate injured survivors among the debris.


Agencies

Güncelleme Tarihi: 12 Aralık 2007, 15:09
YORUM EKLE