Australia's prime minister said Monday his government would not apologize to an Indian doctor held for nearly a month on terror charges that were dropped for lack of evidence.
Mohamed Haneef was reunited with his wife and newborn daughter in his hometown of Bangalore, India over the weekend after spending 25 days in Australian jail on a charge of supporting last month's failed attacks on London and Glasgow, Scotland.
The 27-year-old doctor was allowed to return home after the nation's top prosecutor on Friday dropped the charge because of a lack of evidence. But the immigration minister said he would not reverse his earlier decision to revoke Haneef's working visa.
Defense lawyer Peter Russo said Monday he still had plans to appeal the minister's decision to strip Haneef of his visa in the Federal Court on Aug. 8. He also indicated that Haneef may be planning to sue the Australian government, and suggested officials should consider issuing an apology.
"He is not expecting one (an apology) but I guess if the people who are in line for being sued want to mitigate their losses they might want to think about apologies," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio from India.
Prime Minister John Howard shrugged off the suggestion.
"Australia will not be apologizing to Dr. Haneef," Howard told reporters in Sydney. "Dr. Haneef was not victimized and Australia's international reputation has not been harmed by this 'mis-start' to its new anti-terrorism laws."
Güncelleme Tarihi: 30 Temmuz 2007, 12:04