Bosnia court indicts Serb ex-policeman for genocide

Bosnia's war crimes court on Tuesday indicted a Bosnian Serb former policeman on a charge of genocide for taking part in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys.

Bosnia court indicts Serb ex-policeman for genocide
Zoran Tomic, a former member of the special police in the town of Sekovici during the 1992-95 war, was arrested in June after he was suspended from his job by Bosnian peace envoy Miroslav Lajcak along with 34 other Serb policemen on suspicion of involvement in the massacre.

"The accused, intending to exterminate in part a group of Muslims ... participated in the forcible transfer of the Muslim population with the aim to execute more than 7,000 men aged between 13 and 70," the court said in a statement.

During the war the eastern enclave had been protected by the United Nations peacekeepers but was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces commanded by General Ratko Mladic in July 1995.

The Bosnian Serbs separated Muslim men from women and children in Srebrenica and executed them en masse at several sites in eastern Bosnia. They hunted down and killed men who tried to escape through woods.

The court said that Tomic took part in raids on Muslim villages in eastern Bosnia and in the capture and detention of several thousand Muslim men who had tried to flee Srebrenica and were then taken to a warehouse and executed.

The Bosnian war crimes court, set up in 2005 to take some of the load from the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague, has tried and convicted several Bosnian Serbs over Srebrenica.

The ICTY indicted Mladic and Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic over the Srebrenica massacre, seen as Europe's worst atrocity since the World War Two. Karadzic was arrested in July after 11 years on the run while Mladic remains at large.

Reuters
Güncelleme Tarihi: 26 Ağustos 2008, 16:27
YORUM EKLE