Bosnia's biggest mass grave

Forensic teams have completed excavating the biggest mass grave from Bosnia's 1992-1995 war containing the skeletons of more than 1,000 Srebrenica massacre victims, an official said.

Bosnia's biggest mass grave

"We have uncovered 1,153 skeletons, of which 144 were complete while 1,009 were dismembered," a member of the Bosnian forensic team, Murat Hurtic, told AFP Thursday.

The remains were recovered from the grave located in Kamenica village near the town of Zvornik in eastern Bosnia.

"Kamenica is the biggest mass grave" found since Bosnia's three-and-a-half year war, said Hurtic, adding it contained almost twice as many victims as the nearby Crni Vrh burial site.

"We found many gunshot wounds, many broken bones and skulls, of whom some could have been broken by machines when the bodies were moved from primary mass graves," he said.

Serb forces overran the UN-protected Muslim enclave of Srebrenica at the end of the Bosnia conflict on July 11, 1995, summarily killing some 8,000 Muslim men and boys in a few days.

The Kamenica mass grave also contained bodies of women, elderly men and children, as well as a large number of shells and bandages.

"We've found the clothing of at least two women, and numerous (remains of) elderly men and several bodies (of victims) aged around 15," said Hurtic.

The exhumation of the mass grave began in June. It is one of eight so-called secondary mass graves found in Kamenica, where Bosnian Serbs brought bodies from other sites in order to cover up the crime.

The seven previously exhumed sites contained some 1,000 bodies from the Srebrenica massacre.

Hurtic said the latest mass grave was actually a pit filled with Srebrenica massacre victims' bodies.

"For 10 years, this mass grave was not covered. The grass grew over the bones because the perpetrators filled the pit with bodies so much that they could not cover it with earth," he said.

Thousands of victims have been exhumed from about 60 mass graves around Srebrenica, while more than 2,500 have been identified by DNA analysis.

Hurtic said forensic teams believe the area around Kamenica village still contains more mass graves.

"Excavations in Kamenica are not over. We will have to return there in a year or two as we have knowledge that in Kamenica there are more mass graves."

The Srebrenica massacre, considered the worst atrocity in Europe since World War II, has led to genocide charges brought by the UN war crimes court against several suspects including wartime Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and his army chief Ratko Mladic.

More than 11 years since the massacre, the two still remain at large.

Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Eylül 2018, 18:16
YORUM EKLE