New floods and landslides have left dozens more people dead or missing and destroyed thousands of homes in several areas of China, the government said on Thursday.
At least 31 people died, eight were missing and 171 were injured in the eastern province of Shandong by Thursday morning, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said.
About 180 millimetres of rain was recorded in just three hours on Wednesday evening in the provincial capital, Jinan, causing widespread disruption to traffic, electricity and water supplies.
The death toll in the adjoining southwestern regions of Chongqing and Sichuan had risen to 44 by Thursday, with 14 missing, after the worst rainstorms for more than 115 years.
The floods forced the evacuation of of nearly 300,000 people in Chongqing and caused damage to property and crops estimated to cost at least 2.4 billion yuan (315 million dollars), the ministry said.
A total of 266.6 millimetres of rain fell on parts of Chongqing in just 16 hours to Tuesday afternoon, the highest in a single day since record-keeping began in 1892, state media said.
About 42,000 lightning bolts hit Chongqing during the storms on Tuesday, with more rain forecast on Thursday and Friday.
Another 11 people died and one was missing after torrential rain this week in China's central Asian region of Xinjiang, reports said.
Rainstorms and serious flooding have also affected wide areas of central, southern and eastern China in the last two weeks.
Summer floods and landslides have killed about 600 people in China so far this summer, according to state media and civil affairs ministry reports.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 19 Temmuz 2007, 11:53