German troops with a NATO-led contingent killed an Afghan civilian and wounded a second person on Sunday at a roadside checkpoint in northern Kunduz province, a senior police official said.
Abdul Razaaq Yaqoubi, Kunduz police chief, told Reuters troops fired at a car with two people inside.
German armed forces confirmed only that NATO-led troops had shot two locals, killing one, after a car approached to a temporary checkpoint.
Both NATO and the German Armed forces declined to confirm the nationality of the troops that opened fire.
The Kunduz area is patrolled mainly by NATO's 4,000-strong German contingent.
A storm over Germany's presence there erupted in November after a German-ordered air strike near Kunduz killed civilians over 100.
The attack led the chief of the armed forces and a minister to quit, sparking a parliamentary inquiry that also threatens current Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg.
A poll earlier this month by ARD television showed 71 percent of Germans want Chancellor Angela Merkel to pull her soldiers out of Afghanistan as fast as possible -- the highest recorded in the monthly survey.
Related news report:
Güncelleme Tarihi: 18 Ocak 2010, 14:43