German Muslims Condemn Bomb Plot

Sixteen organizations, including the Central Council of Muslims in Germany, issued a joint statement saying they were "deeply shocked and horrified".

German Muslims Condemn Bomb Plot
Germany's Muslim community on Friday, August 25, condemned the failed plot to blow up passengers trains in the west of the country last month and offered to help authorities fight terrorism.

Sixteen organizations, including the Central Council of Muslims in Germany, issued a joint statement saying they were "deeply shocked and horrified".

"Islam offers no justification for such acts," said the groups in statements carried by Agence France-Presse Saturday, August 26.

They said Muslims could have been victims in more than one sense if the plot to blow up trains outside the cities of Hamm and Koblenz on July 31 had succeeded.

Homemade bombs planted on the trains in trolley suitcases failed to explode, averting an almost certain bloodbath.

Two young Lebanese men who have been living in Germany have been arrested in connection with the plot. One of them turned himself in to police in Lebanon, where officials on Friday said he had made a confession.

The clean-cut looking young men were filmed by security cameras at Cologne station, with one of them appearing in the grainy images to drag a suitcase along the platform.

The bombs were packed into trolley suitcases and timed to explode simultaneously 10 minutes before the trains reached Hamm and Koblenz, but they failed to detonate.

Press reports have said a brother of one of the pair was killed in the Israeli offensive on Lebanon and that his anger at the siege, and the West failure to stop it, may have motivated the bombing.

Police are holding two more people, one in southern Germany and one in Lebanon, for questioning.

"Co-Accused"

The Muslims groups further regretted that people have a tendency to rush and blame Islam for the work of a handful of people.

"If such an attack succeeds, we are potential victims of such attacks, along with all other citizens. But we will also be branded 'co-accused'," the groups said.

Their statement follows a call by Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble earlier this week on Muslims to condemn the plot. 

German investigators on Friday said they were still looking for a number of people who may have helped the pair carry out their plans.

The head of the Federal Crime Office, Joerg Ziercke, told ARD television he was "convinced that there are still accomplices in Germany" but refused to confirm reports that police were looking for seven men.

Last week, German Muslim leaders offered to enhance cooperation with the security services to fight extremism.

Last March, German Justice Minister Brigitte Zypries said that the Muslim minority was suffering from a growing religious discrimination with many Germans wrongly associating Islam with terrorism.

A German intelligence report has revealed that only one percent of the Muslim population are members of organizations that pose serious threats to national security.

Germany is home to about 3.4 million Muslims, of whom two-thirds are of Turkish origin.

Islam comes third in Germany after Protestant and Catholic Christianity.

Source:Islamonline.net

Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Eylül 2018, 18:16
YORUM EKLE