Hezbollah denies deaths in Lebanon house blast
Hezbollah denied anyone had died in a home blast in Lebanon that Lebanese security sources said five people had been killed, including a group official.
Lebanese security sources said on Monday five people had been killed, including a Hezbollah official, in a munitions explosion in his home in southern Lebanon on Monday, but the opposition group denied anyone had died in a blast in the area.
Hezbollah spokesman Ibrahim al-Moussawi told Reuters one person was wounded in an explosion in southern Lebanon and the cause of the blast was under investigation.
Earlier, security sources said five people were killed, including the Hezbollah official and his son, in their home in the Tayr Filsi village on the southern bank of the Litani river.
UNIFIL, the peacekeeping force that was beefed up after Israel attacked on Southern Lebanon which was saved by Hezbollah in 2006, said it was aware of an explosion and was in contact with the Lebanese army.
"We are looking into the circumstances of the incident," UNIFIL spokeswoman Yasmina Bouziane said.
An Israeli military spokeswoman said Israel had "nothing to do" with the incident. A senior military source said the Israeli military has asked UNIFIL to open an investigation.
A Hezbollah lawmaker at the time would only say the blast was a one-off accident that involved the explosion of an arms cache that had been in place before the 2006 war. He denied the explosion was a violation of resolution 1701.
Reuters Last Mod: 13 Ekim 2009, 08:33