Insurgents reject Somali ceasefire call

Somalia's insurgents on Sunday rejected a government call for a ceasefire during the holy month of Ramadan.

Insurgents reject Somali ceasefire call
Somalia's insurgents on Sunday rejected a government call for a ceasefire during the holy month of Ramadan.

President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, a former fighter leader, had called for an end to fighting during Ramadan to allow people to pray.

"We will not accept that ceasefire call. This holy month will be a triumphant time for mujahideen and we will fight the enemy," Hizbul Islam leader Sheik Hassan Dahir Aweys told a news conference.

A regional commander for al Shabaab insurgents questioned the government's call for a ceasefire.

"We will redouble the war against infidels. His (president) call does not mean he has respect for Ramadan, but it is designed to re-arm his pro-Western militia," said Bare Adan Khoje, Shabaab commander for the South Western Gedo region.

At least 11 people were killed and 22 others wounded when the insurgents attacked government positions in the capital, the state defence minister said.

"They attacked our positions on Saturday evening and we gave them a lesson. Their bodies are lying on the streets," Yusuf Mohamed told Reuters.

More than 100 people died last week in different parts of the country as pro-government militias and insurgents engaged in various battles.


Reuters
Last Mod: 24 Ağustos 2009, 10:59
Add Comment