An official Iranian news agency said on Friday one man amongthe 15 British sailors and marines seized in the Gulf last week had admitted toentering Iranian waters illegally and apologized to the Iranian people.
Iranian state television earlier said it would air an interview with one ofthe British sailors as soon as it had the material. It had previously said itwould be shown at 0930 GMT.
"We entered Iranian waters without permission and were arrested byIranian border guards and I would like to apologize to the Iranian people forthis," IRNA news agency quoted the sailor as saying.
"Since we were arrested on Friday March 23, 2007 everything has beenvery good and I am completely satisfied about the conditions," he wasquoted as saying in the report in Persian.
The channel did not say what the confession would contain,but said it would appear later Friday. Nor did it identify the sailor who haspurportedly made the confession.
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called IranianPresident Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Thursday evening to discuss the captive soldiers,Erdogan's spokesman Akif Beki said. Ahmadinejad told Erdogan
"We can confirm that as reported in the Iranian media, that the Iraniangovernment has sent a formal note to the British Embassy," a spokeswomansaid. "Such exchanges are always confidential but we are giving themessage serious consideration and will soon respond formally to the Iraniangovernment."
The spokeswoman, who spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with ForeignOffice policy, refused to elaborate.Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Eylül 2018, 18:16