Israeli police have removed more than 450 pro-settlementsquatters from the former Jewish settlement of Homesh in the
Mickey Rosenfeld, a spokesman for the police, said on Wednesday: "Policehave completed the evacuation of Homesh.
"There have been no injuries ... and no arrests."
| || |
Hundreds of police officers armed with batons were seendragging some of the hundreds of protesters who had remained at the site.
| || |
The move ends three days of confrontation after about 2,500demonstrators marched into the abandoned settlement on Monday saying they weregoing to rebuild it.
Some set up large canvas tents and began to pile up rubble.
About 450 people remained as police moved in on Wednesday morning.
Homesh was dismantled in the summer of 2005 as part of former Israeli primeminister Ariel Sharon's disengagement plan.
The area was established as a military outpost in 1978 and turned over tosettlers in 1980.
Ehud Olmert was elected last year as
However, that plan has been sidelined after he was politically weakened by
One demonstrator told Israeli army radio he would be back.
Yossi Dagan said: "Our goal is not to clash, but to return again and againand again until the flag of
While removing the Homesh squatters, the Israeli governmenthas shown far less resolve in evacuating settlers who have set up dozens ofunauthorised settlement outposts in the past decade.
Since the Israeli evacuation of Homesh in 2005 local Palestinians have not beenable to use it, primarily because of the continued presence of the army.
Government spokeswoman Miri Eisin said on Wednesday that
Around 270,000 Jewish settlers live in the occupied
Elsewhere in the
Security sources identified him as a 21-year-old from al-AqsaMartyrs Brigades. They originally said he belonged to Islamic Jihad.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Eylül 2018, 18:16