Passenger held over India blast

A man has been detained after two bombs, thought to have been hidden in luggage, sparked a fire aboard the Samjhauta Express train travelling between India and Pakistan on Monday.

Passenger held over India blast
The leaders of the two countries condemned the bombing that left 66 people dead, but say the attack will not undermine peace talks between the long-standing rivals.
Police said on Tuesday that the detained man was from Karachi, Pakistan, but that he was drunk and that his story was inconsistent.
Indian officials said the attack had been timed to overshadow the arrival of Pakistan's foreign minister, Kursheed Mahmoud Kasuri, for talks in New Delhi.
Kasuri said that in the wake of the bombing the peace process between the two countries should "go on with greater vigour".
He said Indian and Pakistani leaders should "not allow the designs of the perpetrators to succeed".
"It should act as an impetus for India and Pakistan to carry forward the peace process with even greater sincerity and a sense of purpose and direction."
Kasuri said he would discuss the safety of cross-border rail travellers although it was not on the agenda for Tuesday's talks.
Ban Ki-moon, the United Nations secretary-general, said in a statement he welcomed moves by the Indian and Pakistani leaders to push ahead with talks, saying it demonstrated a "common resolve to thwart the motives of the terrorists".
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the bombing.
Identifying bodies
In contrast with many previous attacks, there has been no finger pointing by the Indian and Pakistani authorities in the wake of Monday's incident.
Most of the victims on the Pakistan-bound train are thought to have been Pakistani nationals.
Manmohan Singh, India's prime minister, expressed his country's "abhorrence for this heinous terrorist act" in his condolence message to his Pakistani counterpart Shaukat Aziz.
He said India would do "everything possible" to ensure that the bombers were punished, a statement from his office said.
Rail officials said police had found two suitcases filled with crude unexploded bombs and bottles of gasoline in undamaged train cars.
Meanwhile health workers have begun the grim task of trying to identify the dead.
Many of the victims have been burned beyond recognition.
In an effort to speed up the process Indian and Pakistani authorities have moved to ease travel arrangements and the flow of information to relatives awaiting news.
Navtej Sarna, an Indian foreign ministry spokesman, said visas would be issued quickly for Pakistani relatives wishing to travel to India.
Relatives on both sides of the border are
anxiously awaiting news [Reuters]
The blasts occurred shortly after midnight on Monday morning near the village of Dewana, about 80km north of New Delhi.
The train's driver apparently did not realise what was happening in the seconds after the blasts, until the assistant station manager in Dewana saw fire shooting from the cars as they sped past and pulled a signal ordering the train to stop.
As on most Indian trains, the windows of many cars are barred for security reasons, sealing in many victims. Officials said at least one door was fused shut by the heat.
"We couldn't save anyone," said Rajinder Prasad, a labourer who raced with his neighbours to the scene, scooping water from a reservoir and throwing it at the flames.
"They were screaming inside, but no one could get out."

Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Eylül 2018, 18:16