Philippine troops have restricted aid workers from visiting conflict zones in the Muslim south to distribute relief supplies to nearly 450,000 displaced people, the military and aid workers said on Monday.
Military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Ernesto Torres said the army had imposed some restrictions for aid workers bringing in food and other supplies to temporary shelters.
But Torres insisted "there's no food blockade."
Some international and non-government organisations involved in the relief operations said the restrictions may worsen the humanitarian crisis in conflict-affected areas.
"We've not been officially informed about these changes in the delivery of relief goods, but we're concerned," said a U.N. aid worker. "We're accountable for the goods that we distribute and we're worried that these could be diverted somewhere else."
Last week, soldiers stopped a U.N. convoy from distributing food to displaced people in Kauswagan town, asking aid workers to coordinate their activities with local official disaster agencies.
A Muslim territorial deal between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front MILF was halted by the Supreme Court
Güncelleme Tarihi: 01 Eylül 2008, 22:14