Sailing race from Turkey to France starts in Istanbul
An international sailing race between Istanbul and the French city of Brest kicked off with a ceremony in Istanbul.
An international sailing race between Istanbul and the French city of Brest kicked off Saturday with a ceremony in Istanbul.
Some of world's top sailors set sail for the Istanbul Europa Race with 6 boats and 30 yachtsmen on a 3,500 nautical miles course to Nice and Barcelona with Brest as the final destination.
The organization is estimated to cost around 6 million euros. The race is planned for every two years on 18-meter Open 60 class with the skipper and a four-man crew.
The Istanbul Europa Race is sponsored mainly by Turkey's promotion agency for Istanbul European Capital of Culture 2010 and by the promotion office of the Turkish Prime Ministry.
The list of Istanbul Europa Race teams is as follows:
- 1876, Spain, Skipper: Guillermo Altadill
- DCNS, France, Skipper: Marc Thiercelin
- Foncia, France, Skipper: Michel Desjoyeaux
- Groupe Bel, France, Skipper: Kito De Pavant
- Paprec Virbac 2, France, Skipper: Jean-Pierre Dick
- Veolia Environnement, France, Skipper: Roland Jourdain
AA Last Mod: 30 Ağustos 2009, 11:34