PKK militants killed six Turkish soldiers in two attacks on Tuesday in the southeast of the country, security sources said.
The attacks come as the government is preparing reforms to address decades-old Kurdish complaints of discrimination which it hopes will erode support for the PKK militants and combat violence and poverty in the southeast.
Opposition parties have criticised the measures, particularly in view of continued soldier deaths in the region.
"The bullets which threaten our security forces and our soldiers will never harm the unity of our country of 72 million and will not be allowed to disrupt the peace process," Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan said late on Tuesday according to Turkish media.
"The peace process, democratisation process will continue with the same determination," he said.
Nearly 40,000 people have been killed in the 25-year PKK violence.
In one of Tuesday's attacks, five soldiers were killed and five others wounded in a PKK ambush in the province of Siirt. Five militants were also killed in the attack.
Security sources said troop reinforcements and helicopters were being sent to the region where sporadic clashes were continuing.
The other attack, killing one soldier and seriously wounding another, occurred in Hakkari province, where four soldiers died in a blast at the end of last month.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 09 Eylül 2009, 12:48