Tsvangirai has 'cracked skull'

Tsvangirai is in intensive care with a suspected fractured skull after he was allegedly beaten by police after being arrested.

Tsvangirai has 'cracked skull'

Morgan Tsvangirai, the Zimbabwe opposition leader, wasstill being treated in hospital on Wednesday despite formally being releasedfrom custody.

Tsvangirai is in intensive care with a suspected fractured skull after he wasallegedly beaten by police after being arrested.

"He has just had a brain scan because his skull iscracked," William Bango, a spokesman for the Movement for DemocraticChange, said.

Tsvangirai himself told Al Jazeera that he had received injuries to his"head, back, hands, broken bones, and the knees they are severelybruised."

"I don't know how long I'll be inside [the hospital].It depends on the medical people," he added.

Case 'not ready'

Lawyers attended court in Harare on Wednesday to hear the case against theopposition leader and 49 other activists were detained on Sunday butproceedings were delayed when prosecutors failed to turn up.

"The prosecutors have not come to court and we cannotkeep waiting," Alec Muchadehama, a lawyer, said.

"They can proceed by way of summons. Everyone is free to go home."

Beatrice Mtetwa, another lawyer, said the state attorney general's office wasnot yet ready for the case against Tsvangirai.

"When we asked the AG's [attorney general's] office, the AG'soffice said it did not request us to be here," she said.

Tsvangirai was taken to hospital in Harareafter appearing in court on Tuesday, two days after being arrested when policebroke up an opposition prayer vigil.

'Terrible attack'

The opposition leader's injuries were visibleas he arrived at the courthouse.

He called Sunday's crackdown on the meeting arranged by acoalition of opposition, church and civic groups a "terrible attackon defenceless people".

Mtetwa said the police forced Tsvangirai and many of the others to lay facedown and then beat them repeatedly with truncheons both at the scene of thearrests and at police stations.

One opposition activist, identified as Gift Tandare, was killed as policecrushed the rally. Two mourners were slightly injured during skirmishes withpolice at his funeral on Tuesday, witnesses said.

Tsvangirai told Al Jazeera, the only internationalnews network with a permanent presence in Zimbabwe,as he left court on Tuesday:

"The struggle continues, we are all determined toensure that the freedoms the people of Zimababwe desire are achieved."

'Orgy of violence'

Zimbabwe'sstate media has not covered the claims that Tsvangirai and his colleagues wereassaulted in custody, but has been running stories accusing the

opposition of violence inthe capital.

On Wednesday, the official Herald newspaperreported that some MDC supporters had gone on an "orgy of violence",barricading roads, destroying property and stoning vehicles in a Harare township onTuesday.

"Sources said the violence was part of a broader campaign by the youths tocause chaos in the suburb," the newspaper said. Police had quelled the violenceand restored peace in the area, it added.

Sikhanyiso Ndlovu, the information minister, said opposition activists hadattacked police and were to blame for the latest violence, according to stateradio.

The authorities suspected an "underground movement" of opponents wasplanning a violent campaign against the government, he said.


Güncelleme Tarihi: 20 Eylül 2018, 18:16