The Turkish military on Wednesday continued its offensive against PKK militants on Wednesday by bombarding targets in northern Iraqi with artillery fire, Kurdish and Turkish security sources reported.
The sources also said Turkish ground troops that had entered northern Iraq on Tuesday had mostly withdrawn. Some of the nearly 700 Turkish soldiers that took part in that incursion remained in Iraqi, according to a Kurdish spokesman in the regional capital Arbil.
Several villages in the region of Seedkan, around 12 kilometres from the Turkish border were targeted by mortars overnight, it was reported.
The Turkish military said the attacks targeted only the PKK, which - they said - have suffered heavy losses. The Turkish military further denied reports that it targeted civilian villages and infrastructure.
Massud Barzani, the president of the Kurdish Autonomous Region, confirmed Wednesday cancelling a meeting with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice the day before "in protest against Washington's stance on the Turkish attacks."
The Kurdish regional government reported that a meeting between Barzani and Rice had been planned for Tuesday.
The United States has admitted supplying intelligence to Turkey on the PKK.
Güncelleme Tarihi: 19 Aralık 2007, 17:53