US Faces Charges of Two Massacres of Iraqi Civilians

US occupation forces are embroiled in a new Iraq scandal, amid charges of killing twenty six Iraqi civilians in two separate incidents.

US Faces Charges of Two Massacres of Iraqi Civilians

"It's a clear and perfect crime without any doubt," Farouq Hussein, a police colonel in the town of Ishaqi, north of Baghdad, told Reuters on Tuesday, March 21.

Iraqi police accused US occupation forces of gunning down a family of 11 in their home last week.

They said five children under school age, four women and two men were killed by US troops.

Hussein said autopsies had found that the victims were shot in the head and the bodies had been dumped in one room before the house was destroyed.

"There was one enemy killed. Two women and one child were also killed in the firefight. The building ... (was) destroyed," Major Tim Keefe said.

"Because of that discrepancy, we have opened an investigation," Lieutenant Colonel Barry Johnson, a senior US spokesman in Baghdad, said Tuesday.

Accusations that trigger-happy US soldiers often kill civilians and that little disciplinary action has resulted in the few cases investigated have aroused Iraqi anger since the invasion, according to Reuters.

In the first such case, a British soldier has quit the army in disgust of the "illegal and immoral" practices of the US-led forces in Iraq.

"As far as the Americans were concerned, the Iraqi people were sub-human, untermenschen," Ben Griffin, a trooper in the Special Air Service's counter-terrorist team, told the Telegraph on Sunday, March 12, using the term used by the Nazis to describe Jews and Russians.

Massacre

This comes one day after Time magazine revealed that US forces killed an Iraqi family of 15 near the western Iraqi town of Haditha last November.

The magazine said that US troops had gone on rampage after their patrol was attack, killing 15 unarmed Iraqis in their homes, including seven women and three children.

The US military claimed at the time that the Iraqi civilians were killed by gunmen.

But eyewitnesses and local officials interviewed by the Time revealed that the victims were killed by US Marines.

A January US investigation, launched after the magazine presented military officials with the Iraqis' accounts, showed that the 15 civilians died at the hands of the US Marines, contrary to the initial military account.

The magazine said it obtained a videotape about the massacre taken by a local journalism student.

The pictures show the victims' bodies being carried from their homes and in the mortuary.

Recalling the grisly crime, nine-year-old Eman Waleed said the US marines had killed all members of her family.

"I watched them shoot my grandfather, first in the chest and then in the head," said a tearful Waleed.

"Then they killed my granny."

Aljazeera

Last Mod: 20 Eylül 2018, 18:16
Add Comment