US troops 'to stay two more years in Iraq'

US troops are to stay at least two more years in Iraq until summer 2009, the New York Times reported on Tuesday, quoting from a secret US government report.

US troops 'to stay two more years in Iraq'
US troops are to stay at least two more years in Iraq until summer 2009, the New York Times reported on Tuesday, quoting from a secret US government report.

The plan had been worked out by US ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker and the commander of US forces there, General David Petraeus, it said.

The aim was to support the process of political reconciliation within Iraq and to improve security. The plan was an extension of the new Iraq strategy presented in January by President George W Bush.

Just a few days ago the US second-in-command in Iraq, Lieutenant- General Raymond Odierno, had made clear that an accurate estimate of progress in Iraq could not be made until the coming November.

He said the recent "surge" ordered by Bush of US troops, who now number 160,000, was showing some effect and developments in Iraq were going "in the right direction."

DPA

Güncelleme Tarihi: 25 Temmuz 2007, 10:19
YORUM EKLE