Yemen says kills 3 fighter leaders in Sanaa
Yemen said it had killed three fighter leaders in fighting in the north, while the Shi'ite rebels.
Yemen said on Friday it had killed three fighter leaders in fighting in the north, while the Shi'ite rebels.
A military statement named the men killed on Thursday as Jarallah Mohammed Ismail, Ali Abd-Rabbo Jabal and Abdelaziz al-Uraimi.
The statement said the army had deployed a unit of snipers in the mountainous territory bordering Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil producer and a strong ally of Yemen.
Last month fresh fighting erupted between Zaydi Shi'ite Muslims in the Saada region and government forces. The conflict first broke out in 2004.
The fighters issued a video of mortars that bore Saudi emblems, seized from an army unit. An earlier video recording appeared to show government troops captured in the Maran region.
"We are placing before everyone the fact of direct Saudi support that we have talked about," a fighter statement issued on Thursday said.
"The regime has ceded sovereignty ... and delivered the country to foreign interests."
Sanaa says the fighters want to restore a Shi'ite state overthrown in the 1960s.
The group wants more autonomy, and opposes the spread of Saudi-influenced Sunni practices and the ruling party of veteran Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who visited Saudi Crown Prince Sultan in Morocco this week.
More than 100,000 people, many of them children, have fled their homes during the surge in fighting, a U.N. agency said last month.
U.N. agencies have launched an appeal in Geneva for $23.5 launched to help Yemen.
Last Mod: 04 Eylül 2009, 14:48