World Bulletin / News Desk
Five people were killed and three injured in a bomb attack on a vehicle in Pakistan's north-western South Waziristan region, as an unannounced military operation continued for third consecutive day on Wednesday, according to military and Taliban sources.
A senior army official told Anadolu Agency the attack was part of a sequence of violence between two Taliban groups but Azam Tariq, the spokesperson for Taliban in South Waziristan, said those killed in the attack were army personnel.
Tariq told AA a remote control bomb targeted the army vehicle.
He said fighting between Taliban and security forces has continued in different parts of South Waziristan, which borders neighboring Afghanistan.
The army official, who wished not to be named, contested Tariq's claim saying a senior Taliban commander, Amir Hamza, had been killed in the attack. He said militant hideouts in some parts of South Waziristan were being targeted by army gunships.
A three-member committee contacted the Taliban's central organization, Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, expressing hope that suspended peace talks with the government would continue within days. Professor Ibrahim Khan, a TTP negotiator, told reporters the Taliban leadership had reservations about the government's attitude towards peace talks; the government demands an instant stop to attacks on security forces.Güncelleme Tarihi: 30 Nisan 2014, 11:09