Australia issues control orders on 'suspects'

In wake of Sydney siege, police conduct raids and impose orders

Australia issues control orders on 'suspects'

World Bulletin/News Desk

Two men in Australia have been placed under powerful new control orders in the wake of this week’s siege at a Sydney cafe, local media reported Saturday.

The orders, granted by a federal court following a request by the Australian Federal Police, is the first time they are known to have been used since they were expanded last month, The Australian newspaper said.

Police also conducted raids on five addresses in Sydney this week, including one property targeted during wide-scale counter-terrorism raids in September.

Despite coming just days after two hostages were killed in the siege, police said the raids are not linked to the incident. The Australian cited police sources as saying they were conducted amid fears of a fresh attack.

The searches were carried out by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team to seek additional information in relation to Operation Appleby, initiated in September when almost 900 police and Australian Security Intelligence Organisation officers raided homes across two states, a police spokesperson told ABC News.

The control orders, which have only been applied twice before, are aimed at those suspected of planning an attack, convicted of a terror offense or who have fought or trained with a militant group.

They impose range of restrictions, including preventing the subject from leaving the country, visiting specific places or meeting with certain people. They can also require a person to remain at home for up to 12 hours a day, wear a tracking device or be photographed and fingerprinted.

Meanwhile, the U.S. State Department issued Saturday a worldwide travel alert for its citizens, specifically linking it to the attack in Sydney.

The alert read: “The lone wolf attack in Sydney, Australia on December 15, 2014, resulting in the deaths of two hostages, is a reminder that U.S. citizens should be extra cautious, maintain a very high level of vigilance, and take appropriate steps to enhance their personal security.”

Fairfax Media reported that the only other time the U.S. had issued a global travel warning was in August 2013.

In Sydney’s Martin Place an ocean of floral tributes continued to grow as thousands paid tribute to the victims of the siege, Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson.

New South Wales Premier Mike Baird said the flowers would eventually be collected by the Red Cross and laid at an “appropriate memorial site to be determined in consultation with the victims’ families.”

He added: “Cards and notes will be collected and preserved.”

 

Güncelleme Tarihi: 21 Aralık 2014, 15:59

Muhammed Öylek

YORUM EKLE